Welcome to Ramakrishna Mission, Indore
The Indore ashram was founded by Srimat Swami Satswarupanandji - a senior monk of the Ramakrishna order and a direct disciple of Holy Mother in year 1957. The first abode of the Ashram was in a rented house at 6, Snehalata ganj an old locality of Indore. It was soon moved on 17th November 1957 to another rented house in Residency area where a "Boys Hostel" was also started in 1958. However this activity could not be sustained for long due to financial and other constraints. Instead, a small Montessori and a primary school were started in another rented building in Nayapura on 8th July 1960.
The Ashram activities gained momentum during 1963 – The year which was marked as Vivekananda’s birth centenary year. Many programs were organized to mark the occasion throughout the year and their highlight was a sort of Parliament of Religions-Meeting at Gandhi Hall in which Sikh, Jain, Buddhist, Muslim representatives as well as a Canadian Christian Priest participated besides Hindu scholars. The school and the other activities of the ashram had grown with time and M.P. government gave a piece of 3 Acres of land on a long lease for continuing the activities. The construction of the school building was started on the day of Sri Ramnavami of the year 1967 with the foundation stone led by Srimat Swami Swahanandji Maharaj, then head of New Delhi centre of Ramakrishna Mission in the presence of Swami Vyomanandji Maharaj and Swami Atmanandji Maharaj.
A small Shrine and a small school building were built in the first phase. During 1968-69 the shrine was shifted from Snehalata ganj to its current location at Kila maidan. The school is now operating from its own building and has grown from KG-1 to 12th Std. Indore Ashram got affiliated formally as a branch center of Ramakrishna Mission Belur Math Howrah in year 1999.
Read more About Us