Requirements for men to join the Ramakrishna Order as monks:
Healthy, unmarried, educated young men (women are addressed in the footnote) with the below requirements –
- 22 years for School Final/Matriculation or its equivalent passed with minimum 60% marks.
- 25 years for Higher Secondary passed with minimum 50% marks.
- 28 years for B.A. / B.Sc. / B.Com. / Diploma (2 or 3 years).
- 30 years for M.A. / M. Sc. / M.Com. / B.E. / B. Tech. / M. Tech. /M.B.B.S. / M.B.A. / P.G. Diploma or its equivalent professional qualification.
- Age limit for western candidates will be 36 years.
- Who is attracted by the philosophy followed by the Ramakrishna Order, is eligible for admission into the Ramakrishna Order (marks sheets and degree certificates necessary).
- A thorough reading of Ramakrishna-Vivekananda literature is very necessary. Prior association with any center of the Ramakrishna Order (Math, Mission, Ashram or Vedanta Society) will give him acquaintance with the associated lifestyle.
- He should be initiated/arrange to get initiation (Mantra Diksha – मन्त्र दीक्ष) – from the Ramakrishna Order.
- He must be physically fit and will have to clear medical tests before being accepted into the organization.
- He must also be free from undischarged family duties that are likely to weigh on his conscience and which may act as a disturbing factor in his proposed monastic way of life.
- It should be noted that he shall not be any paid any monetary compensation as wages, salary etc., and he shall stay of his own freewill, following the rules and regulations of the Order.
- (Foreign nationals are requested to contact the center closest to them. Passports, visa, travel-permits etc. are to be in order and to be procured by themselves.)
Women may kindly enquire at branches of the Sri Sarada Math and Ramakrishna-Sarada Mission, headquarters at Sri Sarada Math, Dakshineshwar, Kolkata 700 076, or any of the other branch centers of the same.